Intuition (or it’s evolved form, psychic knowing) is a fundamental life skill. Because the schools don’t yet teach it, we must teach ourselves.
Intuition, quite simply, translates into better decision making which impacts each and every area of your life. Better decisions have the power to transform the story you are living – and radically. Over time and with a keener sense of intuitive awareness, your life will change so dramatically for the better, it’s like it belongs to a different person. I know. It happened to me.
Reasoning and logic alone will never get you from point A to point B in an optimal manner. Dry reasoning is the brain trying to work all by itself and we are whole beings, not a brain on stilts. We are mind connected to emotion, connected to body, connected to Spirit – connected to infinite. Intuitive and/or psychic inklings come from somewhere the brain loves to discredit in it’s attempt to stay boss. Yes, I’m talking about YOUR brain, MY brain, all brains. The brain by itself is a great big tyrant. But the world is not logical, and belongs not to reasoning alone. We need a better, bigger tool. That tool is INTUITION
Here are 7 tips to get you there.
- Know and never doubt: You are psychic right now. Being psychic is not something you acquire, it is something that you are. It is your birth right. Believing you are not already psychic means you are right now shutting down the messages that are coming to you each and every moment. KNOWING you are psychic means you are paying attention because you know you are already receiving what you need.
- Quit looking for a “far out” experience. Extraordinary information comes in ordinary ways. It comes through the intelligence of the world around you as you go about your everyday life. The ordinary is INFUSED with the divine – like tea leaves soaking in hot water. Ouch! There is no escaping! Pay attention to stuff you usually don’t notice: the gurgle of the coffee pot, the color of the room, something in your peripheral vision, words that pop into your head randomly, a song on the radio. Wake up and be present. This does not mean you will make sense of every bit of sensory information coming your way, and if you try to read into everything, you will go INSANE. Don’t go into analyzation hyper mode. Calm down. Be present instead. You will understand what you need to understand when you need to understand it.
- Silence is Key. Many times we are so busy putting out messages by talking and thinking that we are neglecting receiving messages. This goes along with number 2. Practicing silence feels awkward for a long time, because we are masters at filling space. But after a while of practicing, you start to become interested in the silence. There is actually A LOT happening in silence. In truth, true silence is impossible because the universe is SO FULL of energy. Slowing down, pausing, listening, are all perfect ways to pick up on psychic messages. Do you know that excessive talking (inner and outer!) is one of the ways we distract ourselves from silence because we are afraid of our own psychic knowing? Which brings me to number 4.
- Fear not your psychic knowing: There is just a cracker jack load of fear around psychic knowing. This is ingrained in us from centuries of fear based, generational, thought forms. Again, this is the brain trying to keep you prisoner. Rebel! Rattle the chains! Fear not your own psychic knowing!! What? Are you afraid you are going to “see dead people” or something? Bah humbug!! Are you afraid you might start living your true purpose? That you might dump your partner if you become “too evolved?” Or he/ she might dump you if you become “too weird?” Screw all that! Stand up for your life! Stand up for your wholeness! Cackle hysterically in the face of complete hogwash. Your evolution means you will develop psychic awareness, like it or not, and that means a better world across the board for you and me.
- Act upon what you receive. Psychic messages are like seeds blowing across a vast field. Most will come to rest and lie dormant. These are messages that will come to bloom at a later time, or are connected to something within you that does not require your conscious attention. But some seeds are for you in your life right now and require attention and action. You will know what these are. It is so common for messages to be received – even understood, yet ignored. How do you expect to increase your psychic knowing if you disregard the messages? This is throwing away what you have worked so hard to attain. Show your gratitude for the guidance given by translating it into action. Gratitude spells increase.
- “Maybe” is the same as “no.” Think back on a time when you had a psychic or intuitive “hit.” Close your eyes and feel how this moment felt in your body. This is a moment when all cylinders within you were a go, a moment when mind, body, emotion, and spirit converged in a great big “Yes!” For myself sometimes the tiny hairs on my skin will stand on end, or I will feel an opening above my head or in the pit of my gut. Learn what your signals are. This is what psychic knowing feels like. It is not the same feeling as a “well, maybe.” It is a knowing. The two are very different. Yeah, of course, the mind, being the megalomaniac that it is, can certainly toss it around later and cast doubt upon your own knowing – but it comes originally as a “hit,” as a “yes,” as a “knowing.” So trust your emotions, your first sense of something. But you have to pay attention, because as soon as the mind gets wind of what’s up it wants to jump in and start telling you what’s what. Commonly, the emotion or feeling of knowing comes just an instant before you actually experience the event itself. It is like an “announcement” from your emotional self, a premonition in the feeling center. Learn to identify this and to trust it.
- Get a regular practice for your intuition. Just like you work out at the gym as a commitment to your physical body, a regular work out for your psychic development is a commitment to your wholeness and health as a spiritual being. I find that more than one practice is actually essential for my own sense of well being. Meditation is of course perfect, and directly addresses number 3 (above) but really all things talked about in this article. Meditation is a practice for the long haul so be patient, it is worth it. Enjoy your practice and expect ebbs and flows to your results. I, myself, also love card reading as a regular “work out” and find it a wonderful measure for how I am doing with my psychic skills. Check out my one-of-a-kind card reading method in my free eBook, The Playing Card Oracles. It’s available in the sidebar of this website or go to www.anacortez.com/books (paperback version available in the “shop” tab of this website.)
Best of Luck and swift wings on your journey. Your intuition/ psychic knowing is really just a symptom or side effect of coming into your whole self, and this I wish for you with all that I am.– Ana Cortez, January 2013
Here is a video I made a while back about using card reading to develop psychic ability. Enjoy! and Thank you